Hair loss has a significant influence on psychological distress and is associated with low self-esteem and depression. Androgenic alopecia or male pattern baldness is a very common type of hair loss observed in both males and females. In men the hair loss follows a progressive pattern that is passed on through heredity and is triggered by hormone–specifically dihydrotestosterone( DHT). As hair follicles miniaturize and weaken, coverage of the scalp diminishes leaving thinning or balding areas. The female pattern hair loss can be strongly influenced by age, nutrition, stress, surgery, medications, illness, social/lifestyle factors, hair care and more.
As hair follicles weaken and stop producing hair, hair loss occurs. There are endless debate on medical solutions for this problem, but the best suited is PRP therapy which helps to get rid of hair patches conveniently.
What is PRP?
Platelet-rich plasma (PRP) is an autologous preparation of platelets in concentrated plasma. PRP is derived from a person’s own blood platelets and has a lot of potential in stimulating stem cells in the bulge area of the hair follicles, thus promoting the development of new follicles and enhacing blood circulation.
- Small amount of blood is taken.
- The blood is put into a centrifuge. It spins around very fast and causes the blood components to separate.
- This platelet rich plasma, also referred to as ‘liquid gold’ is collected seperately.
- . The doctor then injects the solution to the affected area of scalp which has been numbed beforehand.
PRP treatment doesn’t show any instant results as its main purpose is to stimulate the natural healing process. Thus, it may take time to show the results. However, after few weeks or months, the effects will certainly appear and one may observe that injected area is showing faster hair growth.
Benefits of PRP treatment:
- PRP is a comfortable, in-office procedure that takes less than one hour to complete the entire process.
- Non surgical procedure with only minimal pain or discomfort
- Very safe without any risk of allergic reaction as uses own blood for injection. No side effects.
- PRP is used to enhance hair growth as a stand-alone treatment or to improve the recovery and results of hair transplant surgery.